Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Fine Art of Deception by Alyssa Richards

I admit I was completely lost when I first started reading this novel. The author's very introspective style paired with so many elements introduced at once ( ghosts, past lives, psychometry, pushing thoughts ) left me somewhat struggling to sort it all out. I suppose if this had been my usual genre, I might have had less trouble, however, I was totally out of my element. Since Net Galley had offered me a free copy to review, I wanted to give the story a fair chance. I kept reading and found myself drawn to Addie and wondering how she would overcome the despair that was encroaching upon her life. Fortunately, after a few chapters, I had everything sorted out and was drawn into the story. Addie is gifted with the ability to touch objects and read their histories. This ability enables her to determine with just a touch whether art is authentic or a forgery. Someone desperately needs her ability and is willing to do anything to be able to use her. Blake is tasked with getting close to her and securing her cooperation. Since he has ulterior motives of his own to look after, he agrees. Once Blake meets Addie, everything changes. Sparks fly, and a deeper connection than should be possible is immediately evident. Blake immediately recognizes the origin of the connection though Addie does not. He makes it his mission to help her remember while protecting her from those who wish to harm or use her. Addie is sure she should not trust him, but can't resist the pull she feels even as she resists his efforts to push his will on her. A web of stolen art, missing people, and mafia connections make this story even more interesting. All in all, I ended up enjoying the story and rooting for Addie and Blake. This is the first book in a new series. Thankfully, it did not end in a cliffhanger. Many things are resolved, but plenty of little threads are still hanging out there to continue the story into the next book. I can't wait to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment