Thursday, October 16, 2014

In His Shadow by Tiffany Snow

I will start by saying Tiffany Snow's Kathleen Turner series is my favorite series of all time, and I've read those books so much that they would be falling apart were they actually made of paper. I have been waiting on pins and needles for her new books and was more than excited when I was able to get an advance copy of In His Shadow from Net Galley. To say I had high hopes for this book would be a serious understatement. I love Tiffany Snow's first person style of writing and the way it lets you get into the character's head. The protagonist in this series is Ivy. If you are expecting a remake of Kathleen, you won't find it here. Without giving spoilers, I will just say that Ivy is damaged. She is smart but often lets emotional needs resulting from the damage of her past to overwhelm her common sense and lead her into trouble.

Devon Clay is a customer of the bank where Ivy works as a teller. He lies his way into Ivy's private life and leaves a trail of deception and death behind him.  When Ivy is pulled unwittingly into a murder and international conspiracy by one of her customers, Devon seems like her only chance to survive. Despite warnings from Logan, Ivy's roommate and lifelong confidant, Ivy chooses to trust Devon with her future. She begins to marginalize Logan's involvement in her life and saturate herself in Devon.

As Ivy had suspected all along, Devon is not who or what she thinks he is. The more she is with him, the more the danger around her escalates. Ivy tries but fails to convince herself to break ties with Devon before it's too late. Devon continues to pull Ivy further and further away from Logan and anyone else who cares about her, knowingly risking her life in the process. In His Shadow was the perfect name for this book because that is exactly where Ivy puts herself, in Devon's shadow (sexy though that shadow may be). Had this book been a standalone, I would have been totally frustrated. Thankfully, I am familiar with this author and know that nothing is as it seems, and absolutely anything can happen in the future. I have feeling Ivy will be making some big changes in the future books. Maybe Devon will too, or maybe Logan or the mysterious FBI agent will play more prominent roles. Who knows?    I sense this series will be keep me guessing for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment