Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Mermen by Mimi Jean Pamfiloff

Wow....I really have no idea what to say about what I just experienced. I read and loved this author's King's series, so I knew whatever she did next would likely have awesomely suspenseful super cliffhangers and be completely outside the realm of "normal" thinking. Honestly, when I first read about her Mermen concept I was pretty turned off. I couldn't imagine how I was going to get into a story about guys with tails. I debated even requesting the review copy I was given by Net Galley. I was just that much on the fence about it. Although I was totally right about the out of the box cliffhanger, I could never have imagined how the actual story would play out.

First of all, the mermen were sexy massively built men with no tails or scales in sight. Secondly, they are savage, brutal, and should be avoided at all cost unless you have a total death wish. While I'd love to explain this in much more detail, I enjoyed all the little shocks to my system and warps to my brain along the path of this story and refuse to deny the rest of you the pleasure of being thrown for a complete loop along with me.

I will say that Roen is drool worthy in that bad boy/good guy kind of way. He is not soft; he is not nice; he is not your typical hero. Liv is brave, resourceful, and intuitive. The two of them are not a pair you would normally put together, but somehow, through the pull of a very mysterious island, the two come together in a massive display of chemical sparks. The problem is that Roen isn't the only one who wants Liv. Some want her dead, some want her captive, and others just want her in their bed. What is so special about Liv? Maybe we will find out in book two...or maybe not.

If you enjoyed the King's series, I think you will love Mermen. Personally, my brain will probably still be trying to figure this one out when book two is released and throws me way off base again. It was everything I expect and enjoy from Mimi Jean Pamfiloff.

No comments:

Post a Comment