Sunday, January 3, 2016

The Asset by Anna del Mar

Wow! What an emotional roller coaster! I had put off reading this for a while since I was unfamiliar with the author and unsure whether I would like it. Once I finally did start reading it though, I was hooked in pretty quick. Ash was pretty gruff, and Lia was pretty skittish, but once they got used to each other they made a nice partnership. I really loved both of them. I completely identified with Ash's struggles to get proper medical treatment as a veteran. Having spent years trying to gain treatment through the VA system for my dad, I found the lack of concern, unbelievable difficulty in obtaining appointments, overmedication, and the use of only whatever medical treatments were quickest and cheapest to be typical of our experiences and therefore very realistic. Though I found some people's treatment of the disabled vets in this story abhorrent, I feel sure vets have to deal with these issues daily.

As for Ash and Lia, the best part of their relationship was that without their painful and terrifying pasts, they never would have understood each other. They used their pain as fuel to protect them and propel them into the future. Ash brought in other disabled veteran friends to help protect Lia from a criminal mastermind who viewed her as property he wants returned, and I adored the quirky team. When things don't go as planned, Ash is prepared to give every part of himself to keep his promise to protect Lia.

This was a well written engrossing story that kept me riveted. I enjoyed it completely and would love to see the rest of Ash's buddies get their own stories.

I received an ARC from Net Galley for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment