Friday, August 14, 2015

Deadly Trouble by J.L. Hammer

I admit that this book started off a bit slow for me. I just didn't love Lily at first, although I thought Cooper was charming and interesting. I might not have kept reading past the beginning if I hadn't been given an ARC from Net Galley. I feel if someone gives you a few book, the least you can do is read all of it. So, I kept going thinking I would probably decline to review it. The more I read, the more I liked it. As soon as the action and suspense picked up, I was all in. Lily grew and changed through the story, and I found myself liking her better and better.

The story starts as Lily takes a vacation to Belize unexpectedly alone. Over a meal, she meets Cooper who is a researcher trying to find a cure for a deadly disease using a plant found only in Belize. Cooper and Lily form a sort of friendship, but when Lily witnesses the aftermath of a murder and the kidnapping of a young boy, she has no recourse but to take off on her own. Through a series of twists and turns, she ends up at Cooper's research village. He offers his help, and the couple begins their search for the missing boy. Drug dealers, cartel bosses, and corrupt police all stand in their way. At times it seems they may be closer to being locked up than the bad guys. Through it all, the couple begins to form a deeper connection.

Overall, I ended up enjoying the story and interested in what was happening to the couple. I was curious where the ending might take them. I'm glad I stuck with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment