Friday, August 28, 2015

The Last Time I Saw Her by Karen Robards

This is the final book in the Charlie Stone series and definitely not a standalone. I have read this series with both hope and trepidation having no idea how a HEA could ever be possible, especially a HEA that made sense, worked with the story, and didn't feel contrived. Even fearing how this was all going to end, I couldn't make myself stop reading. I have really loved this series!

This story begins right after the last book ended with Charlie still grieving for Michael who was ripped away right before her eyes after saving her life. Even though Tony (Mr. FBI) it's in love with her and is actually alive, nothing blunts the grief Charlie feels for Michael's loss and the fear she is experiencing as she worries (with good cause) about where he was taken..is he stuck in Spookville or somewhere much worse? Charlie receives the shock of her life when Michael shows up out of the blue and fully alive, only something is off, and this guy who looks like Michael isn't. He looks like Michael, but he is actually seeking Charlie out in order to get access to her files about Michael. Charlie is legally bound to comply with the request, but before she can, total chaos ensues at the prison, and the inmates of death row escape. Charlie's life is on the line along with several others, but Michael is no longer with her to protect our help her...or is he?

I don't want to give up any more details of the story because it would spoil it, but let's just say I completely loved it. When I hesitantly started reading this series I never really though I could ever get into a relationship between a woman and a ghost. I mean how's that actually going to work, and where would the chemistry and passion come from? I just couldn't picture it, but Karen Robards obviously could. Honestly, the passion and romance in this series is breathtaking, some of the best I've read. Michael with his super gruff nature is is one of my favorite overall book love interests. I was both thrilled and also petrified when at around ninety percent finished with the story, I still had no idea how it would end. By the time I reached one hundred percent, I had decided the author was a genius in the way she brought things to a close. It totally made my heart happy.

I received an ARC for review from Net Galley.

No comments:

Post a Comment