Sunday, November 5, 2017

Risky Redemption by Marissa Garner

I've read Marissa Garner before and enjoyed her writing style, so I requested an ARC of this novel from Net Galley. I've got to start by saying that I don't tend to prefer books which jump back and forth in time like this story does, but I stuck with it because I really liked Jake, and the time jumps were only within a few months. Jake was an assassin but had a conscience. He did his job but only by convincing himself that he was getting rid of only people who deserved it. After getting the contract on Angela, he sets out to romance her...and kill her. It doesn't take long for him to realize something is very wrong with his mark. He expects a jaded traitor and finds a completely traumatized woman who is afraid of everything related to men. Jake discovers he wants to help her, so amidst all of the pressure to do his job and fear that someone else will, he decides to embark on a sexual recovery journey with Angela.  I've got to say that it was a very frustrating journey. Both Angela and Jake frustrated me many times, but I really needed to get the full story. It ended up being completely sickly twisted but ultimately redemptive. I noticed this is the first in a series, so I'm wondering who gets book two...could it be the rebel redheaded detective?

No comments:

Post a Comment