Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Detective's Dilemma by Karen McCullough

I'll start by saying that the cover art is what first attracted me to this book. I was totally unfamiliar with the author but decided to give it a try. I admit I wasn't sure from the book description how likable the characters would be since Sarah was basically the mistress of a much older man who is murdered.  The genre of this book was romantic suspense, so obviously it could be assumed that Sarah would be finding a relationship just after her lover's murder. I really didn't think that would appeal to me, however, the author wrote Sarah in such a way that she pulled my sympathy. Although I thought the relationship between Sarah and Jay developed very quickly, I enjoyed their personalities. I also liked reading about Jay's partner, Sam. If he doesn't already have his own book, he needs one.

As for the storyline, Jay is a jaded detective with a protective streak assigned to investigate the murder of Sarah's lover. Sarah is forced to pull the trigger for the fatal shot, but her story is not very believable until attacks on Sarah and her property start to sway Jay's opinion. Despite evidence pointing to her innocence, Jay is pressured to arrest Sarah. His betrayal cuts deep. With the real killers on the loose needing a mysterious key Sarah knows nothing about, Jay's seeming betrayal leaves him almost to late to save the woman he has admitted he loves.  My only complaint was that the ending of the book felt abrupt to me, and I never found resolution regarding the identity of the third masked man.

Thanks to Net Galley for providing a copy of this book for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment