Thursday, September 18, 2014

Under the Wire by Cindy Gerard

The Bodyguards series has been one of my favorites for a while, however,  I didn't really expect to like this one.  I knew this book featured a much older heroine which is not a genre I typically read. I simply decided to give it a try because I didn't want to be behind in the series. I'm so glad I did. It didn't read at all like I thought it would, and the age difference wasn't the focus of the story.  Lily and Manny had met years before at an emotional time for Lily. Their affair was brief but brilliantly passionate and ended suddenly with no resolution for either of them. Now, many years and complications later, Lily needs Manny's help despite his extremely negative feelings toward her. Exigent circumstances compel Manny to offer his assistance. Though he agrees to help, he does not agree to be friendly, and his resentment rubs off on his team members leaving Lily an outcast. As they travel across the world to rescue a kidnapped family and a missing exchange student, Lily holds her own. I love how strong and independent she was despite being hurt over and over by the way she was treated. I also love the moment when Manny realizes he was wrong about Lily.  Even when it looks like they will be successful in their mission, the future of their relationship remains unclear. I got caught up in their back and forth emotions, their passion, and their struggle to let the past go. This was a great addition to a great series!

No comments:

Post a Comment