Thursday, September 24, 2015

Lethal Game by Julie Rowe

I kept putting off reading this book because I wasn't sure I would like it. It was a little outside of my norm. I'm not much for medical stories or sad stories, and this seemed like it might be a bit of both. Fortunately, I got bored and decided to give it a try. I was hooked from the beginning and kept sneaking a few paragraphs in on my phone even when sitting in the drive through line because I couldn't put it down. I can't recall reading this author before, and I definitely haven't read the first book in this series, although it didn't affect my enjoyment of this story. It completely worked as a standalone.

The story focuses on a military biological response team tasked with tracking outbreaks caused by a particular biological terrorist in the middle east. Sophia is the best doctor for determining the cause of illness and the treatment. Though she has been sick most of her life, she has special dispensation for the military due to the extreme need for her skills. Unfortunately, she is getting sicker every day but refuses to let it be known in fear of being pulled from her work and sent home. As the terrorist begins to attack the very tall force tracking him down, security is increased, and Sophia is assigned a partner of sorts/ bodyguard, Connor. While Sophia knows she will likely die on this mission, Connor kind of hopes to. After losing his team, suffering life threatening injuries, and enduring a long recovery, all he wants to do is get revenge. If he dies trying, that's even better. Sophia has a reputation for being difficult, but she obviously identifies with Connor, and the two become inseparable. After physical threats against Sophia make staying on base dangerous, she and Connor are deployed to Lebanon to identify and treat an outbreak. Things are suspicious from the moment they arrive, and things go downhill from there. They are in a race against time for the health of the refugees and Sophia's health as well. Not surprisingly, danger has followed them to the refugee camp, and both Connor and Sophia must decide just how badly they want to live.

I absolutely adored this story. Sophia was so feisty and yet so bluntly literal. The things she said, and Connor's obvious subsequent amusement had me smiling. They made a great couple. The writing flowed quickly and read very realistically. I'm sure I will be reading more in this series.

I received an ARC from Net Galley.

No comments:

Post a Comment