Monday, June 23, 2014

Extreme Exposure by Pamela Clare

Since this was my first experience with this author, I really wasn't sure what to expect. The blurb on Amazon listed it as an I-Team novel. The I-Team turned out to be the investigative team at a major newspaper. I can't say I've read many stories set in a newspaper atmosphere except the Avery Shaw series which revolves around a small town newspaper.

Starting out, I wasn't sure I would like the story. The sample I downloaded was full of crude sexual conversations which made me fear the book was simply erotica masquerading as suspense, which is totally not up my alley. I had been searching for something interesting to read for a while and decided I was tired of looking and ready to be reading, so I downloaded the book and have it a try. While it did end up having fairly frequent sex scenes and slightly crude sexual language, I wouldn't term it erotica. It did have a very good plot which kept my interest.

Kara is a reporter who will do anything for her story. Reece is actually an honest senator ( remember, this is fiction, and honest politicians can exist in make believe).  These two dance around each other for a while with Reece becoming immediately serious and Kara holding herself back in all ways but physically. As the investigation into a cement company polluting the environment takes as turn toward dangerous, Reece tries to conduct his own investigation and ends up causing himself a lot of trouble. In the end, the passion burns very hot, the danger and suspense were very believable, and Kara and Reece end up saving each other and blowing the investigation wide open.

There were a few peripheral characters who were interesting, such as Kara's new age loving mom and her adorable son. Kara also had several friends in the news room who I'm guessing will show up in future novels. While this was a little more sex than I wanted and was certainly not what I would consider a favorite, it was well written and a good solid suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment