Thursday, October 1, 2015

Death Before Decaf by Caroline Fardig

So I started off trading this book being totally unfamiliar with the author. I received an advertisement saying it was perfect for fans of Janet Evanovich, which I am. I can say I don't find it similar to the Stephanie Plum series with the exception of the two different semi love interests. Honestly, it started off a bit slow for me, and I wasn't sure I was going to like Juliet. She grew on me quickly though, and I was soon sucked into the story and the characters. Juliet is a bit off a loose cannon. She tends to go off a bit unprepared and without much forethought at times. Her friend, Peter, is the voice of reason she tends to ignore. She has been in love with him for a very long time, but she won't risk telling him and ruining their friendship. Instead, she sits by and watches as he dates a woman who hates Juliet and then she ends up making a hookup with a sexy professor from the nearby university. Ryder looks like every woman's dream, but Juliet still finds some aspects of his behavior and background suspicious. Not surprisingly though, this does not keep her from hooking up with him. In the meantime, Juliet is trying to begin her new jib as the manner of the coffee shop owned by her friend Peter. Just as things are starting out a little rocky, they quickly become worse. As she stays late one night, Juliet discovers one of her employees murdered and left in the dumpster. The police lead her to believe she is their favored suspect. Juliet decides the best thing she can do is to investigate the murder on her own and prove that there are other viable suspects. Unfortunately, this leads Juliet into many dangerous and suspect situations. If that's not enough, more and more questions keep popping up about Ryder. Between the danger, the mixed up relationships, and the often funny situations Juliet gets her and her guys into , I really enjoyed this book, and I'm interested to see where the author takes the series in the future.

I received a copy for review from Net Galley.

No comments:

Post a Comment