Monday, November 23, 2015

Dead by Midnight by Pamela Clare

So many couples, so much danger, so many reasons to check out this book.  In one part of the hotel, the newspaper's I-Team (investigative team) it's involved in their company Christmas party. In another area, the Lt. Governor and the Secretary of State are attending the British Consulate General's Christmas party. Unfortunately, a third group is spread throughout the hotel disguised as staff...Columbian terrorists. Just as the parties are getting started, Holly Andris notices a gun sticking out from underneath a staff cart. She manages to get a warning text out and pull the fire alarm before being taken down by a bullet. Her actions save the many people who are able to make it outside, but the terrorists still manage to take hundreds of hostages including most of Holly's closest friends. Marc Hunter manages to avoid capture even though his wife, Sophie, is among the hostages. He begins to wage his own small war trying too take the rooftop off the hotel. Nick, Holly's husband, hears she is down, but he is stuck on the outside. He is an agent with Cobra, a private security firm. He and his co-workers end up coordinating with SWAT and even the FBI's HRT team (courtesy of author Kaylea Cross) to mount a rescue.

This book starts off with mega doses of super hot chemistry as each couple enjoys their date night away from their children and gets ready for their respective parties. It then morphs into non-stop action as both those on the inside and those on the outside work to find a way to stop the terrorists before their loved ones are harmed.

Kaylea Cross is one of my favorite authors. I love her HRT series, and choose to read this book for that reason. I didn't remember having read any of the I-Team books until after I started reading and recognized a couple characters. I enjoyed this story and the I-Team couples enough that I'm now going to have to go back and read the books I missed.  The Christmas time setting of the story was nice and thankfully not overdone.

I received an ARC from Net Galley for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment