Saturday, November 28, 2015

Endgame by Tess Diamond


Love!Love!Love! Seriously, this book made me so happy! I read extremely fast, so at the pace of a novel a day, I frequently get bored with what I'm reading or I can very easily figure out the plot but keep reading because I like the characters. It is a rare treat when a book has me nervous. In this story, between the unpredictability of Mancuso, the conniving underhandedness of the newly arrived Mr. Black, and the downright bullheadedness Maggie displayed, I was completely on edge in the best of ways stressing out about what on earth would happen next.

This book picks up right after the failed attempt to rescue Kayla at the end of book two. The situation has gone from bad to worse with Mancuso adding not only a second hostage but also a bomb to the mix. Maggie's prior warnings are now vindicated, but she is only concerned with saving Kayla and now Paul as well. Maggie and Jake are still working together and covering each other's backs. I will interrupt myself here to say, as I have in reviews of the previous books, that Jake and Maggie are the perfect fit as a couple. There is no alpha in this relationship, just two strong people willing to risk it all for each other and anyone else who needs them. That said, back to the synopsis...

Just when I thought things were getting stressful, but at least a plan was taking shape, all manner of trouble breaks loose. A comment is made referencing the events of Maggie's childhood, Mr. Black arrives to stick his nose (and other assorted body parts) where it doesn't belong and foul up the rescue operation, and members of the team are attacked. At this point, I didn't have a clue what might happen next. When Maggie did finally act, I was shocked by what she did. I don't want to say too much more, because it would ruin the twists and turns. This story does get a real ending, although threads of what might be on the horizon for Maggie are laced thought the book.

I can't say enough about the quality of the writing and my enjoyment of the story. It was a great way to wrap up the kidnapping situation and the nagging employment issues. The series has been wonderful so far.

Thanks so very much to the author who gifted me a copy of this book for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment