Saturday, June 25, 2016

Forged in Smoke by Trish McCallan

This series is military romantic suspense with just a hint of paranormal. I have read all the books in the series so far, and I can't wait for the next book because I hope it's Mac's.  I don't recommend reading this as a standalone, but if you decide to try it, there is a "sitrep" at the beginning and a run down of the characters. Those aspects along with the glossary of military terms and of Arapaho  we're huge bonuses in my mind. I read so quickly that I usually have to go back and reread the previous books to remember what was going on. This kept me from having to do that.

This story focused on Rawls and one of the scientists they rescued in the previous book, Faith. Faith is not only dealing with the fallout of losing her colleagues but also some serious health concerns.  She is pretty much a giant ball of nerves. Rawls is recovering from a deadly  experience and dealing with a new ability which brings with it dangerous challenges and scepticism from his teammates. Neither of them is in a good place for starting a relationship, but they can't ignore the chemistry between them.  Situations out of their control throw them together, and they begin to grow attached even while dodging the attacks of enemies out to destroy them and searching for Faith's kidnapped colleagues.

All the couples from the previous books were still highly involved in this story since a large part of the storyline continues from book to book.  I can't wait to see what happens next!

I received an ARC from Net Galley for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment