Thursday, June 30, 2016

Repressed by Elisabeth Naughton

I loved this book!  The characters drew me in from the start. Samantha was a fierce though talking chemistry teacher. She hated being back in her home town because it borough nothing but bad memories and now a laundry list of pranks she attributes to her disgruntled students. Ethan also has bad memories of this town. Thankfully he is a different person from who he was when he lived there. His life has come full circle, and he is in town to help one of Samantha's students whose behavior is eerily familiar. Ethan was so kind and gentle and caring but still fiercely protective. I especially loved reading from his perspective as the book alternated points of view. When Ethan and Samantha cross paths the attraction is instant and mutual, but while Ethan immediately pursues, Samantha sounds the retreat. As Ethan works on tearing down her defenses, the threats against Samantha escalate. Both of them begin to suspect ties to the past, but neither is fully open with the other about those suspicions. The suspense and tension were strong as the intersection of their pasts became inevitable. I found myself strongly suspecting what was coming but begging in my head for that not to be where things went. As the best books do though, it went there. Suddenly, it wasn't even about whether their relationship could survive the past, but rather whether they could escape it with their lives.

I have been a fan of this author for a while due to her Aegis series, but I almost think I liked this book even better than those. It was a great read that kept me connected from the start.

I received an ARC from Net Galley for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment