Thursday, July 17, 2014

Bad Bones by Linda Ladd

Amazing, totally amazing!!! I have read every book in this series and was extremely excited to get my hands on an early copy of this latest addition since it is one of my favorite series. I started reading immediately, and then I couldn't put it down. The Claire Morgan books are always a little gritty and disturbing, but this one was even more so in my opinion. It seems like the books just get better and deeper as the series continues to develop.

In Bad Bones, Claire and Bud are searching for a killer who likes to break every bone in his victims' bodies before dumping them in the snow. Their investigation leads them to a modern day group of feuding fighting mountain families who really don't take to outsiders or the law. To make matters worse, one of the victims has ties to a notorious mob family Claire's fiance, Black,  knows well. Despite dire warnings from Black and Joe McKay, Claire plows ahead in her usual fashion. Thankfully, Claire is not one of those stupid heroines who ignores all danger and is surprised when bad things happen. She keeps herself aware and prepared but refuses to neglect her job even if it risks her safety at times.

There are a few amusing moments related to Claire's inability to control her snarky mouth, but mostly this was a very suspensefully dark story. There were so many twists and turns and questions I couldn't answer. Claire's relationship with Black had a few ups and downs, but he remains her steady anchor in the middle of all the chaos. I totally love Black!

I didn't know until the very end whether there was one killer or two. The questions were killing me. Some parts of the killer's history were really hard to read, and the final climax of the book had me literally cringing, wanting to read but afraid of what I was going to encounter. To me, that is the best kind of suspense. I absolutely loved it!!!

Thank you, Net Galley, for providing a copy of this book for review!

No comments:

Post a Comment