Saturday, July 12, 2014

Ultimate Sins by Lora Leigh

I will start by saying once I started reading this book, I realized it was part of a series. Fortunately, that did not hinder me from being able to read it as a stand alone. However, I do think I might have enjoyed it even more if I had read the series in order.

The story is set in a small town where three young cousins are left alone when their families are all murdered. The young men grow up on the fringes of society raised by an uncle who eventually dies too leaving the cousins with only each other to depend on. They become the target of a serial rapist and killer who begins slaying every woman the young men have a relationship with. By the time this novel comes along in the series, everyone has just discovered who the killer is, and the hunt is on.

Crowe, one of the three young men, has been in love with Amelia for years but left her seven years ago to keep the killer from learning about their relationship. He has now discovered she was living with the killer all along...her abusive father. With her father on the run, Crowe believes Amelia needs his protection and is determined she will accept it whether she wants to or not. He tends to use their sexual chemistry as a persuasive force much of the time with some success although Amelia bucks against the suffocating feel of his protection.

Secrets and sins abound in this story of betrayal, courage, and renewal. I really was drawn to the characters and hooked into the story fairly quickly. I do feel the need to say that the sexual situations were much more graphic and frequent than I typically prefer to read, and the language (sexual and otherwise) was very explicit. For those reasons, I would have probably not finished the book had I not been so invested in the plot. I had to know how things were going to work out for Amelia. The character development and the interweaving of the plot were sensational. I just couldn't help but keep reading.

Thank you, Net Galley, for providing a copy for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment